The much awaited Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x.x) upgrade is now officially available for Samsung Galaxy S II including I9100 and I9100G, The ICS upgrade can be downloaded via Kies or you can visit the nearest Samsung Service Center to upgrade your Phone.
The new OS update brings a lot of eye-candy and additional features, which can speed up the phone and make it compatible with newer app versions. Downloading the ICS update for your phone is easy and takes a few simple steps
Install Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy S II
Important: The ICS update can be installed on phones that came pre-installed with official Android Gingerbread OS. Before proceeding to installations make sure your phone’s battery is charged to at least 80 percent. This will ensure your phone does not lose power while updating, and you don’t end up with a bricked device. Also don’t forget to backup your data from the phone before proceeding to Install the new OS.
1. Download Samsung Kies from Samsung website and Install it on your PC.
2. Once done, connect your SGS II to the PC’s USB Port. Once connected, your phone’s notification bar will highlight ‘MTP connection enabled’. This ensures that the drivers are successfully installed and the phone is recognized by the Kies software.
3. Next, the Kies software will check your phone’s current firmware (OS) and highlight it on the screen that a new firmware (ICS) is available for your phone. Press the “Cancel” button and click on the ‘Back-up/Restore tab in the Kies window. This will allow you to take your necessary data backups before proceeding. Choose the ones you need to back up by checking the required fields (contacts, messages, memos, call logs, etc.) and hit the back up button.
4. Now you are done, and ready to Install the ICS OS on your SGS II
5. Head back to the ‘Basic Information’ tab in the Kies window and click on the ‘Firmware Upgrade’ button. Follow the onscreen requirements and start the upgrade. The initial stage of the upgrading procedure involves downloading the necessary updates, which are more than around 350 MB in size. This will take time, depending on the speed of your Internet connection.
6. Wait while the software download the necessary data. Once done, you will notice your SGS II automatically rebooting and entering the download mode. All of this is done automatically by the Kies software, and you don’t need to do anything at this stage.
7. After a while, you will notice that your phone will start automatically running a few scripts. The upgrade has been transferred to the phone and is finally being applied on the phone. This will take a while, and your phone will restart with the new operating system – Android ICS version 4.x.x.
[ Via Tech2]